Monday, September 12, 2011

Walking and Meeting the Neighbors

     I have found in the last month that walking not only is good exercise, but has made me more sociable. I am usually a pretty sociable person except when it comes to my neighborhood. Yeah, I met a few neighbors here and there but mostly stay inside and mind my own business. Now that I walk every evening, I have seen just about everyone that lives in our neighborhood. I don't know them by name but I know who lives where and what kind of dog they have. Ha! It does make me feel better knowing who lives in my neighborhood.
   There are a lot of kids that play outside around our neighborhood. I have come to know just about all of them by name. There is even a little boy that was born on the same day as Cash, just 2 hours later. His name is Waylan! How cool is that?
     Last Friday night, I  got the pleasure of meeting a little boy named Shawn. I have never seen him before this night. He came outside at the beginning of my walk and was playing in front of his house. I had Cash with me and every time we walked by he stopped, looked, and smiled at Cash. On about the 6th lap (I make 10 laps around my neighborhood which = 2.5 miles) he went inside. I just assumed he was done playing for the evening. On the 8th lap he came back outside carrying 2 drinks. He stopped me as I walked by and offered me a bottle of water. I accepted of course and introduced myself. I have to say that was the nicest thing anyone in that neighborhood has done for me. That small gesture made my entire evening and Shawn is now my favorite neighbor!
    I am so glad that I am able to walk every day. It has helped me feel better, lose weight, and even meet my neighbors. I keep seeing more positive results with every week that goes by and that is what keeps me motivated!

No comments:

Post a Comment