Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Family History

    I mentioned in my last post that one of my main reasons for losing the weight is to prevent the onset of diabetes. In this post, I want to give a little for info as to why this is so important for me. Studies have shown that women diagnosed with gestational diabetes usually get type 2 diabetes within 10 years. I of course had this but 2 other major risks factors I face are obesity and family history.
    We all know that being overweight or obese leads to serious health issues such as diabetes, hypertension, heart disease, etc. Many people don't realize, however, how big of a role that family history plays in these dieases as well. I work for a Cardiologist and I would say that 8 out 10 people with serious heart issues have a family history. So with that said, let me tell you a little about my family history.
    My dad has type 2 diabetes which in the last year has become insulin dependent. He also has hypertension and high cholesterol. My mom has tachycardia (fast heart rate) and also hypertension. My 21 year old brother has type 1 diabetes and has been insulin dependent from a young age. He also is now hypertensive. My paternal grandfather has type 2 diabetes non-insulin dependent. He has coronary artery disease and has had bypass surgery. He is also hypertensive. My maternal grandmother had type 2 diabetes that was insulin dependent. Are you seeing a trend here?
    When I got diagnosed with gestational diabetes the Dr. said with my family history there was no way around it. Now it is pretty obvious why. So I have obesity and a strong family history risking the threat of getting type 2 diabetes at a young age. One of those I can change. I am going to fight so hard to lose the weight and fight getting this diease!

1 comment:

  1. So happy you joined the blogging world! I will follow and support you all the way! Let me know if you need any help... I will be here!

    Remember... You CAN do this! Love ya girl!

    ReplyDelete